Balance has been restored to the RiRi Force, hurrah! The video, meh- I mean it’s melodramahhhh x 10 [and quite laughable at times, see “MINE” being forcefully tatted on her booty, hilar!] but I really like the song. In related news, check out her purdy stint in the November issue of British Vogue, cover below- so beautiful against the bright blue.
I’ve been pondering ‘judgement’ this week after a particular “you just got served by the universe” incident on Wednesday at work. I’m grateful for these moments when I am so obviously put in my place, but am often ashamed by the thoughts and events leading up to them. I’m striving to remember the saying “be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle” [the Internet is having a battle of its own trying to attribute that quote to someone- Plato is the winner it seems] in terms of snap judgements on relative strangers. Now, judging someone you actually know and quite possibly might even love? GO AHEAD!!!!
More to report from the Rosy Posy City:
- I got my hurr cut at Gold + Arrow salon on Tuesday. Does it look like St.Vincent? No. Does it look much different at all? Not really. But it feels better to me, and I am very happy with Melissa’s handiwork. She thinned it out a lot and understands how curly hair needs to be snipped in an almost random way to achieve the ‘bed head’ look I like. I told her I like big hair and she replied “you want big hair, I’ll give you big hair, baby”- lifetime customer, made!
- Weather has been lovely lately, but one thing I’ve noticed is that it’s really difficult to stand out in fall/winter here. I’m not going for a Lady Gaga look by any means, but with each passing lady, I start to notice that we’re all pretty much dressed the same, give or take a scarf or two. Just an observation that further reinforces my thought that true style is in the details. It’s the addition(s) of unique accessories that serve as an extension of our personalities– that are certainly not all cookie-cutter –that keep us from looking like we all stepped out of the window of [insert trendy store].
- Still on the hunt for black boots. I’ve lowered my standards considerably already due to bleak results from all my favorite haunts; I was determined to find THE PERFECT pair, and I had saved up to pay for them, too. But “they” are no where to be found thus far. I’ve succeeded in procuring brown and – gasp- even red boots at vintage shops, but it seems like every pair of black boots I try on makes me look like I’m getting ready to board a space shuttle. Moon boots, WTFuzz? – not cute. Search continues……….
- Colored tights are going to be “my thing” for fall; first order of biznass is to get more than two pairs [purple and teal]. Also see above where I write that ladies start to all look the same in the cooler months: tights, boots, scarf, etc. – hoping this adds extra flair to my outfits, but they are also on trend right now, so we shall see.
- My mom is the wisest woman I know: this is not news, but I recently caught up on the blog she writes for, SpouseConnect. When my dad retired from ministry after 35+ years, I thought her commitment to the site – aimed at providing supporting words to clergy spouses – had ended, but it has actually morphed into a way for her to share what to expect post-“pastor’s wife/husband” status. This particular list of items called “Ten Foundations for your House” resonated with me. Regardless of your place in life or your faith or lack thereof, this is just good advice. Thanks for sharing, MJR ❤
- My arty Flux: Fashion on Lend: Reflections on Six Weeks of Swaps was posted on Monday and I am extremely happy with how it turned out and especially that my own iPhone photo was included to give it a nice personal touch. It was the first “first person” piece I’ve done for NN and I enjoyed it very much [and Laura approved, too- phew!]. I am disappointed at the lack of comments; maybe people just do not care about such a service, but the piece got picked up by a few media outlets here and still received little actual reader feedback. Something to note for the future of this idea, for sure.
Greetings and salutations my dears! Hope my Guest Pose-r’s guide to March Madness is proving helpful to your bracket. I think the Fashion Goddesses will indeed reward those coaches who put an effort into looking good. Time will tell! Tick tock.
Please enjoy this tune from Mrs. Jack White. Before Karen, the only model in a music video appearance I could get behind was the supermodels of the 90’s writhing about/lip synching in George Michael’s Freedom [PBC]. But Ms. Elson changed all that, and I’ve loved this song and video ever since her album came out last year. It is so simple- no flashy effects or product placement [I’m talking to you, Britters!]- just Karen, beautifully lit as if she was actually under the moonlight she is referencing in the song. And c’mon, that dress! Swoon x 10. Full disclosure: I have a huge lady crush on her, so I’d probs approve if she was strumming “Old MacDonald” in front of a dirty sheet.
Some more glimpses of her just because: striking a fierce pose/making Bozo the Clown hair look hott in Tom Ford’s eyewear campaign from a few years ago, and also looking gorgi in a photo shoot from marie claire magazine in 2010 :
Alright, enough gushing. The meat and taters of this post will be of the “Shopping Excursions” variety. With birthday ca$h in tow, I headed to one of my latest “can’t go in without buying something” shops, Fringe Vintage. Particularly troubling/awesome is the fact that Fringe is within walking distance of #5 AND very close to beloved Folly, which I am bound to visit once a weekend. Gah! Self control… never a strength of mine. Lucky for me, Fringe is extremely affordable and always seems to have some sort of sale special going on. My last two visits the entire shop was 15% off and this time, the super friendly owner gave me a card granting 10% off whenever presented at the register. Um, OKAY! Such perks are incentives to keep coming back, as if the amazing selection was not enough. Below: Receipt & card against my new floral slip with black lace trim!
During my trip today, I also scored the bitchin’ ring you’ll see when you hop over to check out my jewels o’ the day and a floral top. Perhaps I’m in a flower phase in anticipation of Spring’s calendar arrival in a few days? A gal can dream!
Please add Fringe Vintage to your must see list next time you are out and about lookin’ all fine in the Rose City. I accept ‘thank yous’ in the form of store merchandise, FYI.
One more bit of great news before I dash off: BOYCOTT OF RI RI IS OVER!
Just arrived in my mail box today. Sigh… so lovely. The photos inside are not as beautiful as the cover, but are enough to end our spat/bring balance to the Ri Ri Force once again. I know I’ll sleep better tonight!
[bonus points for noticing the teaser to the right re: Mary Kate & Ashley article, woot!]
[double bonus for noticing promise of an Amar’e feature inside, woot comma woot!]
night on the town getting cozy with mah Vogue.
Singing models, flowers showing up on clothing and in nature, love restored.
A good day indeed.